See more about this pub on WhatPub, CAMRA's national pub guide.
This charming family-run country pub between Petworth and Goodwood has a wealth of history dating from the 16th Century when it was a coaching inn on the former roman road from London down to Noviomagus Reginorum (Chichester). It features original wooden beams, a solid oak bar and a large haunted inglenook fireplace that still creates a pleasant ambience. Good real ales, including LocAles and draught cider, are on tap. Locally sourced home-cooked food featuring fish and game, whenever possible, is on the menu. Cream teas and other snacks available in the afternoon. Families are welcome and there is a large garden to the rear. A large function room is available for hire. Additional history:- It was also formerly known as The Swan and until 1814 the inn belonged to the Manor of Duncton. In 1840, the property was purchased by William Gill from a Mrs. Duffell, and records describe a brewery being attached to the inn. The rateable value at this time of the "Swan Inn, Smithshop and land" is recorded in the Duncton Parish Rates as £23-16s. Following William Gill's death in May 1849, his wife Mary occupied The Swan until 1863, when ownership passed to Chamberlain. From 1864 to 1868 it was occupied and leased by members of the Bridger family. John Wisden, renowned Kent, Middlesex, Sussex and England cricketer, who launched the Wisden Cricketer's Almanac, purchased the property in 1867. During his ownership, the property was renamed The Cricketers, and was leased to James 'Jem' Dean. In his will of 1871, John Wisden directed that 'As to the house and premises known as The Cricketer Arms to allow Dean to remain a tenant for so long as he should think fit'. James Dean was born in Duncton in the early 1800s and died in The Cricketers on Christmas Day, 1881, reputedly sitting in the Inglenook fireplace with a pint of beer in hand. Jem Dean gained recognition as a roundarm fast bowler who played for Sussex, All England XI and then helped set up the United All England XI with his long-time friend John Wisden. After his retirement from the sport in 1860, he was appointed as an umpire by the authorities at Lords.